Tuesday 23 July 2013

All Frocked Up

Hi there.

Gosh, I've had the biggest scrapping month ever and I'm managing to get a lot of blogging done as well! I must be slipping behind on something - I suspect it's work!

I have a new layout to show you using those amazing Bohemian Bazaar papers from The Scrapbook Store. I had a lot of fun and a lot of frustration with this one! I knew exactly the sort of photo I wanted for this layout and finally found it. It's a couple of years old and it's been patiently sitting on my computer waiting for the right occasion.


First the fun - aren't those fussy-cut flowers amazing! The papers are so rich and detailed that even smaller pieces like these make such a big impact. I finished off the cluster with a stunning Manor House Creations peacock feather, available here. and a Zva Creative bling flourish, available here. Here's a close up:


I used a label from the sticker sheet as the background for my title - all very easy really. ( I removed the friend's name from the journaling as she's not a relative of mine.)


Now the background was where I had all the frustration. I spent quite a while making a gorgeous textured background then was too heavy-handed with the Dylusions ink spray and ruined it. I was spraying red Dylsuions with a splash of yellow through a The Crafters Workshop honeycomb stencil. I contemplated starting again but had an idea how I could fix it so I gave it a go. I brushed gesso over the Dylusions really thickly. I made the brushstrokes go all different directions, adding to the textured look. I laid the gesso on thinker at the edges then thinner as I approached the photo so more of the Dylusions and stencilled pattern showed through. I then gave a very small spray or two of black Dylusions through a The Crafters Workshop Burst stencil behind the pic. You can't see a lot of it but it helps to ground the photo. I really love the final effect.

Here's a section of it:



I added a few splashes of red and black paint and scattered a few flowers from the sticker sheet to help balance the page.

You might have noticed the border. It was really easy to make. Here's how:

Step 1
Lay a piece of film strip washi tape on a craft mat.


 Step 2
Run a piece of double sided tape along the centre of the washi and adhere a strip of patterned paper that has been cut to fit between the edges of the film strip.


Step 3
Tear the whole thing down the middle.


Step 4
Adhere it around the edge of the page with the black side to the edge.


Easy peasy!

Bye for now.

Heather

9 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I hope things are going great for your tour!! This layout is stunning! That peacock feather really is so eye catching.. love the back ground even if it was a labour of love to get it looking the way you wanted!! fabulous photo too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your layout is fabulous, love the border and the texture in the background.... cool photo as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That edging is FABULOUS...& it does look super easy & your bg work....just goes to show the old adage 'there are no mistakes, just opportunities for more discoveries' is SPOT ON....loove the texture you've created:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous layout Heather. Looove all the texture in the background, it turned really gorgeous after your 'fix'. A really fun photo too. Allong with those magic flowers, a totally stunning page!!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the Bohemian Bazaar papers too! Incredible colours! That trick with the washi tape is great, and you did all the trouble to take the photo's and share it , thank you Heather !!! Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous layout!! The colours are gorgeous, and I love the feather :-) And the background turned out AMAZING in the end!!! Thank you for the step by step instructions on how you made your border :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!!! That photo is totally perfect for that collection isn't it! I love your little tutorial too - fabulous idea!!! Awesome layout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pure lusciousness Heather! LOVE the fussy cutting and that peacock feather just tops everything off brilliantly!That edging sure is an eye-catcher, thanks for sharing how you made it! xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the fussy cut flower cluster, and that border is fabulous! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete