Friday 7 September 2018

I'm Back!

Hello there! Welcome back to my blog.

For those of you that might have noticed I was missing for a while, I've been travelling so I haven't been scrapping. I was very privileged to see some amazing sights on this trip.

One of the highlights was the incredible cultural shows in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea. I was blown away by how colourful and spectacular the costumes and makeup were. To top it off, the people were so friendly and welcoming, yet so proud.

I wanted to capture all of this on paper so I used part of a photo plus a variety of mediums to try to capture the colour and impact. I hope I succeeded.


I started by cutting out part of a photo that included the face of a spectacularly painted performer.

I used a mix of Tinby Designs Colour Crush, watercolours and acrylic paints to make the head-dress and used watercolours for the shoulders.

Although first impressions when looking at these head-dresses is that they are made of feathers, there are actually many other objects in there. I saw sticks, wool, plastic, sparkly objects and, commonly, long blue strands of plastic that look a bit like the much-desired Bird of Paradise feathers. I have no idea what they are but I tried to incorporate them into this head-dress.

I had some ideas in my head of what I wanted to create and when I found the challenge over at Mixed Media and Art I knew I'd found the right challenge for me. Here's the mood board.

The theme is "Colours of Life", such a perfect description for my proud Highlander in his traditional costume. I was inpired by the blues and yellows of the moodboard but also by the swirls, swipes and splats of paint.


Happy scrappin'!

Heather


11 comments:

  1. Wow wow wowwwwww! This is GORGEOUS! I am LOVING those colors!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had some amazing adventures, so many memories you have now! This is incredible, it is amazing, you are very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This page is so colorful, absolutly beautiful. I love it !!

    Bises ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, this is awesome! You must have had an incredible trip Heather and lots of amazing memories to scrap about now! Can't wait to see them! This page is spectacular. So bright and colourful and that headdress is awesome!! Brilliantly done!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wow! This is such a wonderful take on our challenge! Thank you for joining us at MM&A blog and hope to see more of your work next month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOOOOW!!!!!! :O Original, I really like the composition and the color ...different, really, wooooow
    Thank you for playing with us at MMart challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Great project! Thanks a lot for playing with us MM&A

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative and well done Heather! Thanks for joining us at MM&A!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness stunning is understating Heather. Love it so much and look forward to seeing more photos transformed. XXX

    ReplyDelete