Tuesday 26 November 2013

Be Merry This Christmas

Hi there scrappers.

We've had a week of really weird weather here. I hope it's been better where you are.

The new Christmas kit from Scrappy Chat Designs is out and I got to have a play with it. I've had a blast! The kit includes some gorgeous Simple Stories papers, a Pan Pastel and some Liquid Pearls among other things.

For my first layout, I took the title 'Be Merry' quite literally. Here's my layout:


I seem to keep scrapping layouts lately where I have to explain about my very silly family! Aunty Rita is such a joker and always comes armed with a supply of gizmos to make people laugh. As you can see, she has no shortage of people willing to help share the silliness! Those fake teeth were just gorgeous - not!

The chalkboard look is hot right now and this background paper is a fabulous one. It allows colours to stand out so well. I mostly used the 3 x 4 Journaling Cards Elements paper on the remainder of this layout. I fussy-cut some items from the cards to use as features, then layered the leftovers and other whole cards behind the photo as a mat. I inked all the edges to help define the papers.


Included in the kit is a bottle of key lime Liquid Pearls. This is a bright lime green. Normally I wouldn't associate a strong colour like this with Liquid Pearls but I'm so glad I gave it a go. I've fallen in love with it! To make the strands of 'Christmas Lights' behind the photo mat I first randomly glued down handfuls of cotton thread. They're only glued under the photo mat. I then carefully placed dots of Liquid Pearls over the top of the cotton. I had to hold the cotton down at first, but once the Liquid Pearls dries, it acts like a glue and holds the cotton in place itself. I think the result is really effective and this technique would look great on a layout about Christmas lights.


The 'Christmas Lights' forming the border were made quite differently. There was no way I could get cotton to sit like that while I put Liquid Pearls on it to glue it into place so I just drew the white lines on with a gel pen. This is a lot easier way to create the lights and looks almost (but not quite!) as good as the cotton method.

I hope you get to scrap some fab Christmas layouts this year.

Happy scrappin'

Heather

16 comments:

  1. Your auntie sounds like she would get a party going that is for sure.. what a card.. and lots of fun.. love the photo.. and love the layers under your photo.. and that is a wonderful idea for Christmas lights with the fabulous green liquid pearls too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Auntie Rita!!!!!...... your're a star!!!! fun page, love all the elements :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You certainly have an errrrr 'interesting' family):):) Looove how you've used the Liquid Pearls...as you know, I'm rather attached to them...so it's LOVELY to see someone else go slightly overboard with them:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! I loveeeeeeeeee that photo!! Tooooooooooo fun!! I love love love love the layers, the title work and the candy cane!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun lo! So sweet, so upbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, your family is hilarious. I just can't stop looking at that fabulous photo! LOL fantastic scrap page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, and what an awesome way to create the look of Christmas lights, you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is so much fun Heather! Love the photo and how clever are you making the Christmas lights with the string and the liquid pearls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe...love the photo...and it's scrapped to perfection! I love the entire composition! Soooooo fun...it looks like an ad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I love this fun Chrissy layout! Your Christmas lights are a total lightbulb moment (excuse the pun Lol!) - wow I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That photo is hilarious!! What an awesome layout!! Love the chalkboard paper and the strands of Christmas lights that you created - brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol! I have a Sister like this, she is always bringing over wigs, crazy hats, dress ups and yep - Billy Bod teeth! You gotta laugh a little right? Love this layout, gorgeous layering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much fun Heather! Love the lights :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Page transmitting fun!
    Loved the details and layers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh mygosh, I nearly spat out my tea!! Hilarious - love it!

    ReplyDelete