Sunday 18 May 2014

Celebrate - Japanese Style!

Hi there.

I've caught up on things things month and am able to have a go at a couple of online challenges. I looked around a few of my favourite sites and found a fabulous sketch by Nadia at Once Upon A Sketch. I also saw the very inspiring mood board at Scrap Around The World. It's SATW's first anniversary this month and they've got huge prizes so, if ever you're going to have a go, this is the month to do it! Take note that there are slightly different rules this month.

Here's the sketch from Once Upon  Sketch:


And here's the mood board from Scrap Around The World:


The two things I got excited about was that sketch and those shoes! I want the shoes! Anyway, I took my inspiration from the turquoise colour of the shoes and the turquoise, white and pink balloons. The mood board was obviously about celebrating so I chose a photo of my husband celebrating his birthday in Japan.

Here's my layout:


This is one of those photos that remind me of a wonderful occasion. It was one of those bizarre and incredibly funny things that happen sometimes when we travel. To explain, here's my journalling:


There are a few pops of pink in this layout. I would never normally put pink on a page about John but I figure if he's wearing fluffy pink bunny ears then he's fair game!

Here is a close up:


I made the background with gesso, watered down Gelatos and Dusty in Colour paints. The chipboard is a fave of mine from Dusty Attic. I cut it into sections and extended it across the page. Those little geometric chippie shapes are the pieces from inside the chipboard number grid. I love them!

I coated the Dusty Attic mini banners with two colours of paint and two colours of Tinby Metallic Melts.


The circular element is a photo of the dessert the female chef made especially for John. Written in chocolate is "Happy Birthday John" and a kiss! In keeping with the theme I stamped a rabbit onto transparency, painted the back and attached it under the title. It's the only time I'll ever get a pink rabbit onto a page about John!



Happy Scrappin'!

Heather



21 comments:

  1. I reckon you both will always remember that birthday! Love your take on the sketch, love the chipboard and the ripped paper strips. Great extra details on your background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning page & VERY funny story...& the little bunny is CUTE... Must say, I rather like those mini banners too...I am soooo glad you entered this in our OUAS challenge....& don't forget to add it to our FB page...I know you now how to do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love love this! LOVING the colors, the fun photo and the little bunny!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Heather!!! Such a fun page and I'll bet this is a memory neither of you will ever forget, what a fantastic celebration!! Gorgeous page, absolutely love it all!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hoot - a fun and fabulous page about a special memory. I love the MM background pink bunny :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather!!! I absolutely love this page! WOW! Looks like an amazing and wonderful time was had by all. I love all of your gorgeous details and how you used the beautiful sketch as a basis to scrap your fabulous memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute and fun page. Love the colours and all the detail - I noticed the date and John and I share the same birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun layout and good that you scrapped that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your take Heather....very cool and fresh! Love the colours and love the little details! The circular dessert element is really cute and creative! Fab page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful layout! Great design and colours!
    Thank you for playing at SATW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well done!
    Thank you for playing along with us at SATW! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, love the colours and the background work! Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely layout! The banners, the colours and this little plate! Wow! Where did you find this? Thank you for playing along with us at SATW this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather this is gorgeous. Love your take on the challenges and what a fun tradition. Love the pic.:) Stunning background and I love the colours. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS this month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute layout and fun photo, what a funny tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun is this! Love your pink rabbit! Great page! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather your layout is awesome love the stitching and detail on it! And those banners are way cool....Thank you so much for playing with us this month at Scrap Around the World hugs Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather this is an amazing page! Love the photo and the journaling and so many tiny details, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is stunning! Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Around The World!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing LO!! I love it!! Thank you for playing along with us at OUAS!!

    ReplyDelete