I confess, you probably have to be over 40 and Australian to understand the title of this blog post. To those who aren't both of those, Claytons was (and is it still?) a non- alcoholic drink that advertised itself as being 'the drink you have when you're not having a drink'. Well this is the layout you make with Christmas papers when you're not making a Christmas layout!
This is my third layout for this month's kit for Scrappy Chat Designs. The kit is a Christmas themed one, but my challenge was to make a non-Christmas layout with it. After all, don't we all end up with all those Christmas papers that we don't know what to do with for the rest of the year?
So here's my non-Christmas layout using the Christmas range of Simple Stories papers:
For those of you who are regular followers of my blog, yes that is my daughter on the left. She has dyed her hair black!
When you're using a themed paper range for a different purpose, look for the more general papers or even sections of papers that you can utilise. I cut out sections of papers about 3 x 4 inches that didn't include specific Christmas items. I then decorated each piece, rounded the corners and inked and stitched the edges. Here's a closie of one piece:
I used scraps to make the banner and to decorate the individual sections. On some I added punched borders or flowers and cut shapes such as hearts and arrows. The Liquid Pearls from the kit made great flower centres and added a bright touch as well.
The chipboard flourish was lots of fun to play with. I first applied VersaMark ink to the flourish part only then covered this lightly with Metallic Melts. I heated this to create that gorgeous beaten copper effect. Metallic Melts aren't quite available commercially yet but you can inquire here in the meantime. I then painted the title section and, when it was dry, added a light layer of VersaMark again and sprinkled a very light layer of Metallic Melts on this section. I heated this so I just got that sprinkled effect. I then stuck my title on top.
My letter stickers really didn't like sticking to the uneven surface that I created so I had to glue them down with Helmar 450 glue. They took a bit of convincing but they stuck in the end!
Here's a closie of the effect the Metallic Melts created when I used them in the method described above.
That's all from me today. See you soon.